Apple Cinnamon Donuts- Gluten Free & Vegan
If you’ve got a sweet tooth like me, treats are just hard to kick; which is why I’m all about the healthier versions.
Enter baked apple cinnamon donuts!
I think donuts are one of my favorite foods, especially on a foggy Sunday morning. Maybe they bring back nostalgic memories from my childhood. I can still smell the fresh donuts from our favorite shop. My family would often go after church to pick out a donut to make our morning complete.
Now, having kids with severe food allergies, not all donut shops are safe. So instead, we make our own! And they are not only healthier, but also gluten free and vegan.
The kids drool over them and even the husband approved!
*This post contains affiliate links to products I personally recommend. Purchasing them here from my blog is no extra cost to you. Thanks for your support!
I hope you enjoy them as much as we do! They are deeelish in our book!INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup flour of choice (I use Namaste Foods Organic Perfect Flour Blend-Gluten Free or King Arthur Flour- Gluten Free)
- 2 tbsp ground flax meal (optional- just add flour if omitted)
- 1/2 cup sugar (I sub with Stevia)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1/4 cup organic applesauce
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1tbsp melted coconut oil (I love this brand- Garden of Life Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup melted vegan butter (I use earth balance)
- PREHEAT oven to 350˚F and spray a donut pan with non stick spray (Non Stick Donut Pan OR try this High Grade Carbon Steel Donut Pan)
- SIFT all dry ingredients in large bowl (flour, ground flax meal, sugar, baking soda, ground cinnamon and salt)
- MIX all wet ingredients in separate bowl (soy milk, applesauce, melted coconut oil, and pure vanilla extract)
- COMBINE both wet and dry ingredients and mix well
- SPOON batter into donut pan. Be careful not to cover the “hole” of your donut.
- POUR mix into each cup
- BAKE for 10-12 minutes (or until top begins to crisp slightly)
- COOL for 5-10 minutes
FOR THE TOPPING:
- MELT vegan butter in bowl
- STIR in the sugar and ground cinnamon
- POUR over the top of donuts to coat
- STIR together the sugar and cinnamon in medium bowl
- MELT vegan butter in separate bowl
- DIP the donuts into the melted butter
- DUNK the donut into the cinnamon sugar mixture to coat
Best served fresh and warm. Makes 6 donuts.
I’d love to hear how you liked it, so don’t forget to come on back and leave a comment!